Sunday, January 11, 2015

Something Interesting to Share...

Gee, I love it that some of you were intrigued by the fact that I had 'something interesting to share'... So, let me preface it first by saying... it's all about Birds!(If you don't care to read about birds, leave now, before you get sucked in--ha!!) I have loved watching birds, but my property is not especially conducive to doing this. I tried the side where our garden was, but it was too shady, the squirrels beat them to it, and eventually they stopped coming. I stopped for about a year... but... I still had the urge to watch them! So, last fall I took out the pole and a couple of my feeders, and put them at the corner of my house near the front. However, I did not ever see any birds there... and it was pretty darn hard to see the feeders there anyway... So, two weeks ago, I asked hubby to move the feeders to right in front of my office, as a last ditch effort. Well, that is a darn good spot! We have birds a LOT! I have to be careful about just walking in to my office tho, cause I startle and scare them away if they are eating. But, I have learned and have told everyone else in my house the same! So, location, location, location is the key! I have two mixed seed feeders, one thistle feeder and a suet cake. And here are pictures of my visitors:

First of all, the most prevalent birds to the seed feeders are House Finches. A group of them is called a 'development of finches'! The males have the red colors... And they ALL are very possessive and aggressive towards other birds!

But every now and then I see one or two American Goldfinches! In the Spring, they will be very bright yellow and black, but for now... they are a duller color combo. They don't stay long.

But occasionally I get a good shot.

And then, I started seeing these chickadees... At first I thought they were Black Capped Chickadees... but they aren't usually prevalent around our area. And these ones are more tan colored on their tummies. So, I searched and found that they are Carolina Chickadees... of course!!

At first I thought these birds were a different one, but found out that this is a female House Finch. We have LOTS of them visiting!

So, there are a few ground feeding birds around. This is one of them... And I have no idea what they are. They are bigger than a finch. Distinctive coloring on their feathers. Never go up to the feeders. Anyone have a name for them?

Another shot of the 'mystery bird'

And one last shot to help with ID.

And you can just IMAGINE my surprise and pleasure when this bird appeared!! It is a Red-bellied Woodpecker!! WooHoo! Did you see it in the background of the first Goldfinch photo above?? It chirps it's arrival, so if I am not watching... I know it is here because I hear it!

Here is how I found out it was a Red-bellied Woodpecker--see the red on it's belly?

I love seeing my Woodpecker!



It could be more than one visiting... not that good at comparing and such yet...



Another shot of the tummy...

Then I started seeing this little one, right after the Red-bellied one left, and I figured it was a juvenile, being allowed to go once mom or dad tested it out...

I did not see any red on it's head when I first started seeing this one, and was thinking it could be either be a Hairy Woodpecker or a Downy Woodpecker.



But TODAY I saw a spot of red on the back of it's head... Not able to catch a shot, but it is there...

So, it very possibly is a juvenile Red-bellied one.

Whatever it is, I sure am enjoying watching it at my suet feeder!

Well that is it for my 'Something Interesting'. I lead an exciting life, don't I? Ha!

If anyone can help with ID's, give me a shout here. I have to go study the differences between finches, wrens and sparrows now...

And I should finish the Blackbird piece tonite! Finally!!

Hugs,

Maggee

20 comments:

Clare - Aimetu said...

I love seeing the birds, we are starting to get a few in the garden. Is your mystery ground feeder a dunnockhttp://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/d/dunnock/index.aspx

I have my RSPB kit ready for the Big Garden Bird Watch in a couple of weeks :-)

Barb said...

So many wonderful birds. I'm so glad you found a good spot for them. I suggest you buy a good bird book for your area. I have one for the Puget sound area(no help to you) I use it all the time.

barbara said...

Wow, what wonderful bird photos. :D

Robin said...

Wow, Maggee! It paid off to try and try again with your feeders and feed.

Robin in Virginia

Sheryl S. said...

How lovely to be able to view the birds from your office - always with your camera nearby. Hope to see more photos soon.

Katie said...

We LOVE feeding the birds. Love your pics. Sorry I don't know 100% what each bird is other than pretty haha.

marly said...

Interesting!! We're full of cardinals all the time, lots of various peckers, and others. I love watching them too, but we had so many hit the window! I once had an Indigo Bunting and was thrilled but he didn't stay long.

Beth said...

Way to go Maggee! You have a super selection of birds with the different feeders. I am voting for a male Downey woodpecker rather than a juvenile Red-breasted. Think your mystery bird is a sparrow of some sort.

Beth said...

Mystery bird could be a white throated sparrow.

Vickie said...

Now that is interesting! So cool.

Melissa said...

Maggee, that was an interesting post. I'm glad you finally found the perfect spot for the feeder. Watching birds is really calming, isn't it?

Anne said...

Lots of fun watching birds isn't it?!! We used to have a birdfeeder up at my parents and I would watch the birds for hours on end as a child. Hugs to you!

Tiffany Pincombe said...

Great shots of the birds. I think a Hairy Woodpecker has the red on the back of the neck, but the Downy does not. But I could be wrong.

Brigitte said...

So interesting, this post. I love birds a lot and we have many different ones visiting our feeder in the garden, mainly all sorts of finches, sparrows adn blackbirds. Thanks for sharing al,l the lovely pictures.

Carol said...

You know I love birds, too, Maggee, so this post was wonderful. You've had so many darling feathered visitors and you have me thinking about asking my husband to move our bird feeders to a different location. We just don't get many where they are now and they're hard to see. It couldn't hurt, right?

Thanks for sharing your sweet photos!

Sally said...

I love watching birds in the garden. Your photos are lovely.

Pam in IL said...

Love seeing your birds! We have many of the same feathered friends in our backyard. I never tire of watching them. Check out allaboutbirds.org to help with identification.

Janelice Bastiani said...

Olá,
Adorei seu blog e as postagens, agora sou seguidora do blog.
Venha visitar meu blog www. crochelinhasagulhas.com.br
Você será muito bem vinda.
Janelice Bastiani

Catherine said...

I could never tire of seeing bird pics! Wish I was better at knowing all the names!

Kaisievic said...

How exciting to have all of those lovely feathered visitors.