Sunday, September 21, 2014

Gosh, it's been a LONG LONG time... UPDATE

Where has summer gone?? It got away from me, though September does have some nice warm days here in our area. I am trying to get back into routines now. But our lives are changed, perhaps temporarily, perhaps not... time will tell. For the next six months, my husband cannot drive, work, fish or go fishing--basically no strenuous activities because he could have a seizure or a stroke. He was having TIA's (mini strokes) throughout the TWO craniotomies he had, and at discharge last week, so... I am trying to keep him from endangering himself. Unfortunately, he 'thinks' he is fine and back to normal. But his brain has not shifted back, there is still a large hematoma on the right side and a somewhat smaller one on the left, not to mention the shift. Not out of the woods yet, but he will be monitored with CT scans by the neurosurgeon monthly I think. The slurred speech has diminished for the past four days or so--good sign. However, he absolutely HATES not being able to do things he always has, and using a cane, and us monitoring his every move when he is up and about. As if things were not serious enough, they cultured tissue in the cranium before the second procedure and found it to be contaminated, so there is a 'wait and see' attitude for that right now, with him taking mega doses of penicillin vk. Don't truly know if there was more bacteria in the cranium that we have to worry about. And the penicillin does not really affect this particular strain of bacteria, but the Infectious Diseases doctor is in touch with us and will call in two weeks instead of waiting the month to the appointment, so I am somewhat confident in him.

Lots of new stuff in my life. My oldest daughter came up to help out when he was discharged again, and has been a GREAT help. My youngest daughter,when coming to visit when he was in the hospital, tripped in the parking lot, breaking her baby toe in two or three places. So she has been in a walking boot on a little scooter thing to get around... She would help if she could, but has her hands full (ha! literally!)... My son is always available for me, helping around the house and yard, and so much more, and I truly need that. I have a couple of friends that have been helping out with meals or gift cards which are appreciated greatly, because time just flies by and there is lots to do. Paperwork alone seems neverending... But I think hubby has become REALLY OCD about stuff, and has me doing laundry more frequently and so on.

I have NOT stitched in over a month, but did a little yesterday. I hated to stop. Trying to work it in now that things may be settling into a pattern. But my husband is very impatient, and that makes me be on edge all the time. I hesitate to work on anything for fear I will have to FROG it right back out!

I may be able to post more often--we shall see how it goes. I am TRYING to read your blog posts a little each day, tho I don't always have the time to reply. But know that I am trying to keep up... last count it was down to 142 posts in Bloglovin to read!

Well I think that about covers it. Keep us in your prayers if you would, as this is going to be an ever-changing process, as/if he heals. And thanks for your prayers so far! I/we appreciate them!



Hugs,

Maggee

22 comments:

marly said...

Oh I hope improvement and healing continues. Six months is a long time to be restricted. Even hobbies get boring after a while! I'm so glad your family is a great help because the stress alone is enough to handle without worrying about chores. Continuing prayers.

Denise said...

Sweetie - had no idea things like this were happening to you. Hugs and prayers to you both!

Robin said...

Maggee, it was good to see and read your update. Your husband plus you and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers daily. Continuing to lift you and yours up in prayer.

Thinking of you!

Robin in Virginia

cucki said...

Sending you huge spring hugs xx

Vickie said...

I am so glad your family continues to help.Yes it is hard on them, it is hard on YOU!! I continue to pray.♥

Katie said...

A lot of healing thoughts coming to your family. Glad to hear you are having a lot of help though. It's always hard to try to do everything on our own.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Hang in there, friend. I have faith things will get back on an even keel for you all. Hugs!

Linda said...

Sending hugs, prayers and happy thoughts your way Maggee.

Linda

Beth said...

Maggee I was thinking about you this weekend and wondering...It sounds as though you and your husband will both have to adjust to a New Normal. Very hard to do. I hope you are able to find 30 minutes or so each day "for yourself" to stitch or read or nap. I know you are tremendously worried about your husband. It will be a long slow 6 months I am sure.

Barb said...

You are going through a rough time. I'm so glad you have a good support group. I will keep you and your DH in my prayers. I know how hard it would be if I had to keep my DH slowed down. You have quite a job!

Natasha said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you while your DH recovers. So glad you have a good suport system ((HUGS)) to you

Pam in IL said...

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Teresa S. said...

365 times in the Bible! Let's BOTH try to remember it everyday. That is the best comfort there is :)

valerie said...

So sorry to hear about your DH's health issues. I hope he continues to improve and that you take a little time to yourself everyday. If you don't take care of yourself, you can't take care of him. Big hugs to you.

Melanie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your hubby. That's really rough on both of you. You have my sympathies and lots of healing thoughts. Hopefully you figure out a way to get some regular 'de-stressing' stitching in to help the six months go by a little easier. It's like yoga for the mind. :)

Carol said...

I've been thinking about your Maggee and am so sorry your family has been hit with this. Anything brain related sounds so scary. I do hope you can find a bit of "me time" with your stitching again--being a caregiver is exhausting and not good for your health, which you really need to keep up. I do hope and pray that things will improve for your husband very soon... Sending a care hug your way!

Sally said...

Oh my gosh Maggee! Thinking of you all.

Anne said...

I'm praying for your husband to be healed and for him to sit down! Men just seem to have a difficult time adjusting to taking it easy and not doing anything. I'm glad you had some help from your children. Do take care of yourself too though...stitching a bit is therapeutic and you need a bit of that too. HUGS

Cindy's Stitching said...

Just found your blog. You have your hands full. I am glad the kids are helping out. No one likes being told what to do, but men really don't. Keep pressing on. I hope things are going well.

Melody said...

Wow, you have been through a lot. I am thinking of you and hope your hubby can relax and let things heal. It has to be hard for both of you. I am happy to read that your children are good at helping out. Take care.

Kaisievic said...

Oh Maggee, I have just caught up with this news and I am so glad to hear that your DH is home again but it all must be such a worry for you. My prayers are winging their way to you and your family. hugs, Kaye

Brigitte said...

A tough time for you and your husband but you have your family at your side helping you. Good thoughts and hugs coming your way ...