Sunday, August 3, 2014

My finishing plus ...

I have procrastinated from doing the finishing on several finishes this past week, and finally got them done Friday! I did a bunch of pillows and a flatfold. Here they are:



Here is the patriotic piece for the year! I really do like the looks of this piece... Since there is a border on the stitched piece, I just did a close pillow.



The weather has been cloudy and rainy so these pictures are not the best, but this backing fabric really looks good!



It really must be the lighting, because in this one, it looks like the colors ran... which they did not! Oh well!



Though this is a 'Quaker' piece, I decided to go more modern on the back. Again, it had a border so the finish was close.



I stitched and finished LHN's Summer Garden. I did not know that one of the flowers was specialty stitches...not my fave, but you could not tell by the computer generated picture. No biggie... I put the date in, instead...



And the back... very pretty, tho the lighting...



I attempted another flatfold again. First I used one tutorial(LONNNGGG time ago), but then got interrupted... and when I continued, I used Vonna's, which was easier for me to follow. However, I am still not pleased yet. Perhaps the next one will cinch it for me. I used matboard, and that is a bear to cut (for me, at least!). Next time I am at Michael's, I'm getting some foamcore board!



Side view... It is still a pretty flatfold... You know how it is--we are our Worst critics!

I am participating in the Summer Post Card Blog Hop over at Joanna's blog (tho I may have been late in entering... ) and one of the things I shared was that I saw 4 Flickers in my garden! That was such a surprise, but a treat for sure! And in case you don't know what they look like, here is a picture from the internet--I could not get my camera fast enough to snap one! But it was so exciting to me!



I recently ran across an old chart(1997?) that I really thought my one son-in-love would like, so I hunted it down and purchased it on Ebay. It was stitched on black...something I have avoided! I have a piece of 25-count Lugana, but there was no way I could even SEE that to stitch on it! So I got a piece of Aida, and began this new adventure. I am REALLY enjoying this piece! It is the OPPOSITE of the way stitching usually goes... hard to explain...so here is a picture of my progress:



Isn't it cool? I am using 18-count which is working fine. Love it! Have not used Aida in many years! It will be his Christmas present. He has had a love for outdoor camping and adventures as long as I have known him... which is about 22 years!

And thinking about family, I have a great picture of all my girls: daughters and grands, to share with you. They were at Busch Gardens this summer...



I popped in to a local Thrift store last week, and just browsed... I found a GREAT Christmas gift for my oldest daughter. Years ago, I collected Fitz and LLoyd Charming Tails figurines. I grew tired of dusting them, and either sold them online or gave them to my eldest daughter. Her nickname is 'mouse' so, she loves anything to do with that... Well, I found a musical one, called Daffodil Twirl, and it WORKS! NO box, but hey... for less than $4, I am not complaining... It still sells for $25! A steal!!



It plays "The Entertainer"... so cute!

Also found more books there... This particular store is the BEST for books! I always find inspirational books there... So I thought I would start sharing some of the inspiration from these books. Today I am going to share from 'God's Way to Worth' which is an 80-day devotional type calendar thingy... by Karen Moore. The tagline is '80 days to enriching your walk with God' I KNOW I can always use a bit of uplifting, and thought I would spread the wealth!

"As a Woman of Worth, you're alive in God and living in His Spirit. You're on the path and you are ready to walk. You're going to walk with His arm wrapped around you for the rest of your days. (emphasis mine!)When you're walking in that kind of love, you're becoming an even stronger woman of worth." "If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Galatians 5:25

Well, that's it for now...

Hugs,

Maggee

30 comments:

Karen said...

You certainly had a very productive day! Love your finishes... especially the America pillow. Really like the design.

Happy stitching....

Vickie said...

What a nice post Maggee. Love the finishes. Good job! Your girls are beautiful. :)

Blu said...

Your finishes all look great! Your girls are very pretty.

Robin said...

Fabulous finished finishes, Maggee! Great photo of your girls! Thank you for sharing some inspiration with us!

Robin in Virginia

Marie said...

Your finishes al look so nice. I have used Vonna's tutorials and had great luck with them. If you have a rotary cutter (quilters tool) it makes cutting that mat board so much easier.

The camping cross stitch is wonderful. I am not sure that I could stitch on such dark fabric! Nice start to this wonderful project.

Lovely family!

marly said...

You did a beautiful job on finishing and the designs are sweet sweet sweet.

Katie said...

Gorgeous finishes!!! I need to get some stuff finished some time in my life haha. Yours all look fantastic. Good luck with your new project. It looks really nice on the black.

Barb said...

Lovely work Maggee. Thanks so much for the words of inspiration! What a great find for your daughter. I know how expensive Fitz and Floyd can be.

Beth said...

Four Yellow-shafted Flickers! That is so cool - we have Orange-shafted Flickers west of the Rockies. Way to go with your many finishes - the fabrics you chose all rock. You now have me interested in flat-folds...

cucki said...

So beautiful x

Trace4J said...

Wow you have been a busy bee.
So pretty.
Have a great week.
Woolie Hugs

Shirlee said...

Lovely finishes my friend, & a lovely quote : )

Mii Stitch said...

They all look superb but my favourite is Summer Garden :)

Linda said...

Congrats on all the awesome finishes Maggee. Love your new start.

Linda

Teresa S. said...

Love all your finishes especially the patriotic one.

And yes, I think we are our own worst critics. Your flatfold looks just great. I do think they are a learning experience. I use plain ole cardboard (semi thick)

Carol said...

Wow! You sure have been busy, Maggee!! Everything looks wonderful--I'm partial to the little pillow finishes (of course--I do love little pillows!!). Your patriotic one and the Summer Garden are my favorites. Unlike you, though, I love specialty stitches in designs (as long as they aren't too complicated :)

Great photo of your family--I'm sure they had a grand time at Busch Gardens. Glad you are enjoying stitching on the black--it looks amazing!

Anne said...

Such wonderful finishes Maggee!! I love your Summer Quaker and the fabric you chose for it! I have yet to attempt a flatfold as they do look time consuming. Yours turned out great! I too have a difficult time cutting into board...even the foam core board from Michael's. My lines are never straight!! Lovely photo of your girls and the little music box is darling! Hugs!!

Bonnie said...

Love to pop in your blog Love the America pillow can you share who the designer is... please

Vonna, The Twisted Stitcher said...

WOW! I love your sweet little pillows! And is this the flatfold you told me about?! Its great!! Practice makes perfect :)

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Love the patriotic pillow! I really need to get some finishing done myself. Have a great day!

Brigitte said...

You were on a real finishing spree. And look at all these wonderful pillows and the flatfold. Great job.

Those older charts aren't that bad are they? I always love browsing through my old stash, particularly my old magazines from the 80s and 90s. And there is always something nice I find in there. It's a lot of fun. I love the new start you made.

Tamara said...

Your finishs look fantastic, as usual! And good job on the piece on black, it looks great!

stitchersanon said...

A wonderful, wonderful post. Love the stitching. Your flatfold is perfect: I havent even tried to make one yet so well done you. Great to meet the family too xx

Melanie said...

Very nice finishes! I don't think I've ever done a flat fold finish so you are more adventurous than me. :)

Mat board is a bear to cut unless you have a mat board cutter. I can't remember where we got ours........it might be Michael's? (I think it's made by X-acto.) Everything is better with the right cutter.

Are Flickers rare where you are? I get those all the time on my suet feeder. They LOVE suet. They are so big up there too, probably the biggest bird I get on my feeders, aside from the occasional dove that gets a crazy idea in it's head that it can use a feeder made for songbirds. (Note: They can't. They don't fit. lol)

Love the photo of your family. :)

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Great stitching and finishing. One of my favorite things is finding great bargains - love thrifting!

Maureen said...

Well done on all your finishes,they look fab. Fabrics work so well.

krayolakris said...

Great finishes!! FYI when stitching on black fabric it can be helpful to place a white or light colored towel in your lap....helps the fabric holes pop.

Meari said...

Cute finishes... all of them.

Foamcore may make your flatfold too bulky. If mat board is too difficult to cut, try using cereal box cardboard doubled up. When I taught my online flatfold class, a couple of students used cereal boxes. Good luck!

Sheryl S. said...

Pretty stitching and finishes.. I love looking through old designs, always find something interesting.

Sally said...

All your finishes are beautiful Maggee.