Friday, July 11, 2014

Frogs and scissors and fobs... oh my!

It's time to share another Collection. Today it is my Scissor Frogs and the assortment of scissors and my very few fobs. Most of the scissors were purchased between 2006 and 2009, and the fobs were received or made beginning in 2006. Without further ado, here is my next collection:


This was the first frog I found. The bowl is from my china cabinet... nothing special. I filled it with scissors!



And this depression glass pink frog was given to me by my friend, Patti. She is also my framer extraordinaire. I found the perfect sized bowl for it while thrifting in North Carolina! I haven't put too many in this one... just the bigger ones.



This was my first fob ever! I received it as a RAK from a Multiply blogging group that I belonged to called BAPXS I think... It's been quite a few years ago and unfortunately I do not remember the name of the person that sent it to me! I do remember she lived in England... See that it is purple? She noted that I liked purple. I was so surprised to get a present from abroad--my first one! Stitching has opened so many opportunities to me...to make new friends, to learn about other traditions, and so much more. Of course, I put it with my purple scissors, which have been well-used and are showing wear...



Once I started to stitch on linen, I made this teeny tiny biscornu. It was not on 40 count, probably 32 at that time, but it sure was cute and fun! And it is attached to my multi-colored Dovos! Second pair of German scissors I bought many years ago! They are such pretty, and smooth scissors...Can't say enough good about Dovos!



This red and white fob was made by Bindy, a former co-owner of my LNS. I paired it with Blue scissors, for a patriotic effect.



One weekend, when we were having our stitching group, we decided to make our OWN fobs. So everyone brought some of their stash, and we made fobs! This is mine! The beads are sort of pinky-violet, and my scissors paired with it are pink polka dots...I haven't tried to make another... I really should! They make great gifties!



This particular fob is attached to a pair of Gingher scissors that my stitching buddy, Darlene, gifted me one Christmas. The Acorn Fob is a specialty of said Patti, above... she has great skills! Besides framing, she is a finisher, and she has designed some Reproduction Samplers.



This is my only pair of Stork scissors... I think they came from one of my exchanges at PALS. I have gifted two other pairs but I always seem to receive another to replace them!



I really like these black ones... They have a nice leather case, but for now they are in the frog. And the other ones were given to me by my husband! They are probably not for stitching exactly, but he was so pleased that he could give them to me... they deserve a place with the others!



In case I have not mentioned it lately, I LOVE COPPER! And these scissors --magnifique! They are Bohin scissors from France--they are bigger...probably 4 inch. But I love them. They are sharp and work fine! I got them over at Anitas Little Stitches. She has quite a large collection of scissors!


These are just colorful little scissors I sometimes find at Hancock Fabrics when I am there... I am surprised to find that I have doubles of this blue, purple and pink pair!




Again, I find all sorts of cute scissors around town... These green and white polka dot ones were popular a while back. And I received this heart set from the OTHER PALS exchange... I THINK! I went twice, thus two exchanges? Gee, I didn't realize that I may forget where these came from...



These Pink Ribbon ones were too cute to pass up! I bought them from a fellow blogger that had two pairs. Now they are readily available online...



I received a RAK which was a DMC accessory kit. Inside this pink vinyl bag were these great scissors! Besides being comfy, they cut really well. I use these upstairs when I stitch...



I have acquired a bunch of polka dotted scissors. I like them, they are too cute! The larger, non-polka dot ones are from Dinky Dyes, whose overdyed silk threads are my all-time favorites!





Last but certainly not least are my FIRST pair of Dovos!! They are magnificent! They are three and a half inch, with very fine blades. Sort of pewter in color, not silver. Love them!!

So that is my next collection! Hope that you enjoyed it, and that I have inspired some others to join in this Collection sharing! I love seeing what others have! Collections or stash... it's all great!

And onto other matters... like the Giveaway I was supposed to have completed on Monday! I had a whirlwind weekend with family, and Monday was crash-and-burn day. Didn't do ANYthing but rest! So, without further ado, I did the random thing and the winner of the Red, White and Bloom chart is Mii Stitching! Please contact me as soon as you can so I can get this mailed out to you! And congratulations!

My daughter that came to visit is a Face Painter/Henna artist. So.... I got my first henna of the year done...this time on my hand!

Henna is NOT a permanent tattoo, and washes away after a little while. It starts out with a dark paste drawn on you. You let it sit for a few hours, until it starts to peel off...



And the final product is a lighter version. I LOVE Hennas! But next time, I will do it on my ankle or upper forearm, because I wash my hands ALL THE TIME, and it is wearing off quicker than normal!

I worked on my Tulip SAL a little more before putting it away last week, and here is the result.



NOW you see a tulip!! It is going to be gorgeous... Next year!! I will be putting beads here and there, just to make it pop! I think I will wait till the end to fasten them, because it is a BIG piece, and they might get broken off as I progress... Any opinions about this?

Then I was inspired at seeing Anne's Quaker Summer piece and pulled the pattern out of my computer and voila! Finished!

I wanted it to look like a beautiful Sunset... Going to work on finishing this weekend... because...My husband's work vehicle is broken! So he is using my van, and I am stuck at home! At least I am able to do that, being unemployed, and we don't have to rent a vehicle! There is a blessing in everything!

A few MONTHS back, I agreed to do a Mug Rug exchange with my dear buddy Gaynor at Stitchers Anon. Well, SHE came through with this!



There WAS a chocolate bar inside but of course it is gone!



Here it is closed up! I hesitate to even use it, cause I don't want it to get wet or ruined! I attempted to make her a Mug Rug, but after struggling and struggling, as I was finishing the binding, I found that several edges that were SUPPOSED to be sewn WERE NOT! I was heartbroken... and put it away. I am feeling the call again--so hang in there G! It's coming!

And lastly (thanks to you for getting this far!!), I neglected to show this really neat mug I found while thrifting! I don't normally use mugs, so haven't decided whether I will gift it or not...but it is an Excellent one!





(And a bottom view, just in case anyone wanted to know who made it!)

Well, I am going to close for now... this post is pretty longggg. I will be back next week!

Hugs,

Maggee

18 comments:

marly said...

It may be long but it was so enjoyable. Loved seeing your collection. Stitching too! Never heard of hennas.

Vickie said...

Wow! I have three pair of scissors. :)

The Inspired Stitcher said...

I love long posts like this! I enjoyed seeing you scissors collection. I'm drooling over that acorn fob. I want to try a henna someday. I love the way yours looks. Have a great weekend!

cucki said...

Beautiful post..lovely scissor fobs and scissors..
Sweet stitches and a very cute mug mat..
Happy hugs x

Linda said...

Great post Maggee. Amazing collection of scissors and fobs.

Linda

Barb said...

It was such fun seeing your collection, thanks for sharing the pictures! I love the color you chose for the summer stitch! Your hand looks awesome!!

Brigitte said...

So nice to see your scissor collection and fobs. And a wonderful summer finish. I love the colour your used.

butterfly said...

Wow I thought I had a few scissors and fobs you sure beat me .
Lovely collection .
Beautiful stitching , and love the mug rug.

Katie said...

Beautiful collection of scissors. Love all the different ones and the beautiful fobs. Your stitching is beautiful. Love the henna tattoo. I've got one before and the lady who was doing it said she didn't want to stop. She said something about I had a fun energy to be around. Made me smile that's for sure.

Mii Stitch said...

Apologies, I am a bit late in reading your post! I only own 3 pairs of scissors, your collection is really impressive!! Love your stitching with the tulip and again thank you so much for the chart :) Please post whenever it is convenient for you, there is no rush :) Thank you xxx

Sheryl S. said...

Lovely post Maggee and amazing collection of scissors and fobs. I have only got three, keep losing them or giving them away.

Beth said...

Great post Maggee. Fantastic scissor collection and so nice that many have a back story too. Your tulip stitch is lovely - lavender and lilac.

Penny said...

So many lovely things to see! Love all of the different scissors and fobs. I think I could easily get caught up in scissor collecting. :) Your daughter did a beautiful job on your Henna design. Love the color you chose for the Quaker piece ~ very pretty!

msmartello said...

Hi Maggee,
Love your scissors and frogs. I just picked up my 3rd frog at an antique store today. My scissors are growing as well and love it. Maybe I can share them in the near future. Love your fobs too. I was thinking as I was reading your post that I should make more. I love the one you gave me and use it all the time. Hope all is well.

Maureen

Melanie said...

Ack! This post makes me want to go out a buy a dozen pairs of pretty scissors ASAP. So much prettiness. I feel positively morose now I only own like 4-5 pairs. lol

She's just great at the henna. What fun!

(Also, I would be tempted not to use the mug rug as well. Must_keep_nice_things_nice.)

anik chauvin said...

Very lovely collection ! Congratulations !! Have a good day !

Sally said...

I loved reading your post Maggee. So many wonderful things to see. My youngest DD thinks I have way too many scissors! I think I'll show her all yours then maybe she won't object to me buying more. I think it scares her lol!

Your daughter did a great job on your henna tattoo. I had a small, real one done last year!

Can you please tell me the name of the Erica Michaels beach design in one of your previous posts?

Meari said...

I enjoyed seeing your scissor collection.

All the Henna tats I've seen have been really pretty.