Monday, June 23, 2014

National Pink Day...

So, it is National Pink Day. There is no reason for it, other than someone just decided to name this day Pink Day. OF COURSE, I have a reason or two for it... First, I love pink... and grey... So I pulled out a WIP in just those colors to work on today.



It will be a multi-sided BALL! I found it on this blog: jujulik.blogspot.com     I hope to finish it soon, and then tackle assembling it! I have about eight more 'sides' to stitch, then finish backstitching them. Using 36 count Pearl Grey linen and Victorian Motto Raspberry Ice cotton thread.

Reason Number Two for celebrating National Pink Day for me is that, as a Breast Cancer survivor, I appreciate that Pink reminds people about Breast Cancer Awareness. Locally, a young woman just died from Stage Three Breast Cancer. She was diagnosed when she was eight months pregnant, last year. After a little bit of debate, they did decide to take the baby and start aggressive treatment. The baby boy is one year old now, but his mommy just died. There are older sisters and a daddy to care for him, but it is tragic. And lots of us certainly remember our blogging sister Cathey, and her brave fight against this deadly disease. Don't forget to do Breast Self Exams, and if there is a history of cancer in your family, and you are not the 'recommended' age, get a mammogram anyway! I don't even know what the recommended age is now. I know my daughters are getting their first ones this year, and they are 37 & 35. They save lives!



I also have another finish. Are you tired of seeing them? It IS different for me, isn't it? I am going to plow through some WIPs during this down time!! Without further ado, here is my latest completion



As can be seen, it is America by Sunflower Seed. On, interestingly enough, 36 count Pearl Grey linen, and colors I liked that were or were not necessarily called for... I wanted to do at least ONE patriotic stitch this year. I have another couple of smalls lined up... we shall see if they get done in time to display for the 4th!

Hugs,

Maggee

14 comments:

The Inspired Stitcher said...

I really like your patriotic finish. I've not seen that one stitched. It turned out great. Pink is also one of my favorite colors. The ball is going to be amazing!

Vickie said...

WHAT?! WHAT?! How did I NOT ever hear of National Pink Day? How? Well I just happen to be stitching pink at the moment of course. ;) And wearing pink too. =)
I like that patriotic stitch.
I have patterns and a dark chocolate linen and pink flosses for the multi-sided ball too! Unfortunately they have been sitting for two years. Yes, two years. Sad. I hope to actually start it THIS year.

Robin said...

Congratulations on getting your Patriotic WIP finished, Maggee! It looks great! And no, I never tire of seeing finishes. Off to check out the multi-sided ball you mentioned as I am not familiar with it.

Robin in Virginia

Linda said...

Congrats on the awesome finish Maggee. Nice progress on the other piece. I am a 19 year breast cancer survivor.

Linda

Catherine said...

Love the idea of Pink Day! Such a sad story for that family...hopefully love and support will see them through...

cucki said...

Such a sad story...
Love the pink day..hugs for you all x

butterfly said...

Beautiful stitching , I love the colour pink too and hope it brings hope to all, such a sad story .
Have a beautiful and happy day .

Beth said...

Love your patriotic finish Maggee and your big old pink wip you have going. Every new day truly is a gift, isn't it?

Trace4J said...

Giant hugs to you our Survivor Friend!
Beautiful pink stitches.
Woolie Hugs

Shirlee said...

Lovely stitching : )

Carol said...

That young mother's story was very similar to our sweet Cathey's...I still miss her every day.

Your America finish is wonderful! I'm doing some patriotic stitching myself today :)

Brigitte said...

I often think of Cathey, literally whenever I see a stitched pumpkin. She will always be in our thoughts.

Pink is also my colour, all shades of pink, and all the reds, too. That ball will be gorgeous and I'm looking forward to seeing it on your blog.

Penny said...

What a sad story. Cancer is such a vicious disease.

Love the pink and gray together ~ very pretty! And that is a lovely finish, too!

Melanie said...

That poor young mother. :(

I'd never heard of National Pink Day but why not? It's better than a National Gray Day, right?