Sunday, January 12, 2014

A Hodge Podge post

This year has certainly gotten past me, already! It is almost mid-month, and I am just putting away Christmas! Of course, I had Christmas 2 last weekend... so it follows that I would be doing that this weekend, right?

I was taking it down while watching the Playoff Game between the Niners and Panthers. Sorry friends, but Niners ROCK! Super Bowl is next!

It was nice to have my eldest and her family here finally. We had a nice Christmas, with more big meals and gatherings. The family all seemed to love their throws/blankets. And the younger two were quite excited to receive their rubber-band loom thingys... they already brought the ones they got for Christmas at home, so I just added to their stash! Maghen made me a purple bracelet... gotta take a picture and post it.

One of the little gifties I gave my daughter and hubby were coasters that I found while thrifting last year. They are glass and have pictures of the Bluebird that is down in NC!



Aren't they pretty? They were appreciated... And I heard that my son-in-love is refinishing the coffee table so they will look nice on it when done.

I promised to show pictures from the visit to the antique store...



First is the THREE Ewe & I & Friends cross stitch patterns I found! The Red House, Primitive Primrose, and Primitive Tree. I love these patterns so much, I bought a repeat! I already have Primitive Tree waiting to be stitched, so...you know what that means? It is up for grabs by one of my followers. I will mail it to the first person to answer this question correctly: What kind of tree can you carry in your hand? I will announce the winner next Sunday!



I found this Nativity there... seems to be in good condition. I will use it next Christmas in my dining room...$9 !! Not a famous brand but nice nonetheless!



And I gave my husband this Christmas music box. He likes those old men and women pieces... couldn't pass this up for $5 and it works! It plays 'We wish you a Merry Christmas." Of course, the youngest granddaughter was fascinated by it...



And I found this lovely little Willow Tree box for $4, in what looks to be new condition...



I just love the detail in these works of art, but also the simplicity...I have an Angel of Courage upstairs--Lois from Elegant Stitch sent it to me when I found out I had breast cancer! She didn't even KNOW me! But she knows my LNS owners, who told her about how I was doing... The kindness of strangers...I have RAKed many of those angels to women with a need, in return for that kindness years ago.



Not to mention the wonderful sentiment inside!

I neglected to mention the Halloween costumes at work this year. My friend, who is a very strong believer, doesn't miss a chance to dress up in a costume that speaks to people about her faith. This year was no exception, except she had a partner in crime! She walked into the area first, holding her sign and Bible. A second or two later, part two came in!



Well, that is it for now. I am off to dig in my stash and figure out what I want to stitch this year, as many of you have already done. I am finishing up a big WIP this week, so then I am allowed a new start! Them's the rules I made for myself!

Hugs,

Maggee

23 comments:

Cindy said...

Congratulations on the big finish! Love the finds. Today I finally have a finish, it's not huge but it is a finish.

Robin said...

Super finds, Maggee! Glad your family loved their goodies. Wishing you a very blessed 2014.

Robin in Virginia

Myra said...

Wonderful catch up post! I adore the bluebird picture, so pretty. I do know the answer to your riddle but have quite enough on my plate to stitch right now. What a fun way to do a giveaway. Have a great week!

Mrs. GraceWorks said...

LOL! I know! A palm tree!! : )

What great finds at the thrift store! It sounds like you had a lovely Christmas. I have a WIP that I wanted to have done by today. Alas... not quite, but by mid week, I hope! I have an exchange piece to start!

Blessings!

Tricia

Linda said...

What wonderful gifts you found last year Maggee. Love the Halloween costumes.
The answer is Palm Tree.

Linda

marly said...

Nice finds - and good prices!

Anna van Schurman said...

I hate to break it to you, but there's one more game before the Super Bowl--conference championships. But I take your point, you think they're going all the way. We'll see. ;)

Brenda said...

What wonderful gifts you found!! And I love those Ewe & I charts too. I need to dig mine out some day and start getting stitching on some that I have kitted up....along with TONS of other things this year.

I hope you find some time to yourself to stitch!!! What a wonderful gift that Lois gave you when you had Breast Cancer. I hope you are doing well right now!!!

Hugs hon!!!!

Clare - Aimetu said...

Lovely finds - I'm always popping into the charity shops here in the UK, especially if we are visiting a new town. I also give lots (my Dad passed away recently so many of his items went) I think they are great for the givers, buyers and of course the charities.

Your tree in question is a palm tree.

Clare - Aimetu said...

Lovely finds - I'm always popping into the charity shops here in the UK, especially if we are visiting a new town. I also give lots (my Dad passed away recently so many of his items went) I think they are great for the givers, buyers and of course the charities.

Your tree in question is a palm tree.

Mouse said...

ooo I will probably be late with the answer but its a Palm tree heheheh :)
love your finds and great costumes too :) love mouse xxxxx

stitchersanon said...

A beautiful post...being scientific I had to go with Bonsai because I am too anal to go with the fun answer..but it is all good because I have plenty to stitch at the moment lol. Amazing gifts..and so pleased you had a good Christmas xx

Shirlee said...

A palm, although I'm not the first ... lol! Great finds!

Trace4J said...

Some wonderful treasures you found.
Woolie Hugs & Love

Quiltsmiles said...

What a wonderful time you had and the susccess great! The answer literally a palm tree but also phsically could be a fedather tree. lol Great game. Jane

Vickie said...

Great finds Maggee! I am praying for your health.♥

Carolyn said...

Hi Maggee!
Those coasters are beautiful. Great finds on the Nativity set, music box, and willow tree box. The costumes are awesome! I can't wait to see what you have picked to stitch this year.

Barb said...

What wonderful finds! The Nativity set will be perfect for next Christmas!

Brigitte said...

So great all the things you found in the thrift store. Three E&E&F charts - gorgeous! They will be fun to stitch.
Enjoy planning your stitching year.

Melanie said...

Gurrrrrrrrrrl, you find the best things EVER for a steal! I would have snatched up those Ewe & I & Friends patterns and Willow Tree box in a hot second.
Even though I didn't win I still feel proud that I knew the answer was palm. I'm usually SUPER terrible at riddles. So I still feel like I won something. Heh.

Carol said...

Wow! Such great finds, Maggee--that Willow Tree box is so sweet and I love the Nativity set, too.

Your co-workers costumes are a hoot!! Will have to remember that for Halloween some year :)

Jeanne said...

Congrats on finding those EEF patterns, always liked those gals when they were designing. I never seem to see anything good in thrift stores but then I don't have much time to visit them either. I do know that someone is getting a lot of good stuff that I donate though! Happy new year!

Anne said...

Hello Maggee!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family this year and found lots of great little items. Those patterns by Ewe and Eye are so cute! What a great find! Hugs!