Sunday, November 3, 2013

MUCH Catching up to do.... LONG post...

Well, I will try to do some catching up here. I was pretty sick with pneumonia and other stuff beginning at the end of September, so that threw me off. Then Cathey's passing just stunned me for quite some time. It is hard to describe, but though we never met in person, she was such a kind friend and will be greatly missed.

So, without further ado... First up, I stayed at the Lankford Hotel, which is owned by the people who also own the Salty Yarns cross stitch shop on the boardwalk! Had a great time! Loved the beach! Loved the shop! They own other shops too--a book shop, a souvenir-type place, a swimsuit shop, and a beach-y type shop... I visited a couple of them too! Here are a few good snaps...



The hotel is right on the boardwalk. You walk down those steps and you are in the midst of it! Love the rockers on the front porch! They own a bunch more 'cabins' behind the hotel...pretty busy place! I parked about half a mile away! That was REAL fun...lugging my bags...



And here are the signs for the other shops -- one is next door to the Salty Yarns, and the rest are down a stairway, under the shop. Pretty cool!



Looking to the right, from the front porch. Lots of shops and sights to see!

And looking to the left down the boardwalk again...

Due to the number of pictures I have to share, I made a page for Ocean City, to show the rest. If you look at the top of the blog, there is a new page called 'Ocean City Maryland, August 2013' up there. You can see more of my pictures there...

Next up is The PALS Stitching Retreat at Myrtle Beach, S, in mid-October. Hmm...I am seeing a pattern here! I only go to places with a beach? Actually, these are closeby... that is why I went! This is my second time going to PALS. Last time I went with my sister that I had not seen in a long time. THIS time, my eldest daughter joined me. I coaxed her into it, cause she just needed a break from her very busy life with three teenaged girls! My wonderful son-in-love agreed, and took the time off from work to fill in for her! He is an angel! So the big 'draw' of PALS is that it costs very little, and we just sit and stitch and have exchanges IF YOU WANT TO! You are pretty much on your own... There were a few vendors there, also, for our shopping pleasure. My daughter and I stayed across the street in a timeshare (how VERY convenient!) so we cooked most every night, to save costs. Our resort was very nice. My first time there. I will consider it again...

Here are a few pictures from PALS. I put the rest in another new page, the link is up top...

Here are some of the ladies, stitching away...

And more...

And another view... There were 114 women there this year.

This is one of the Christmas ornaments I stitched and finished. It is an old one, from Bent Creek. I originally told my daughter she could have it if she wanted, but then totally forgot and put it in the exchange. So I guess I will be stitching another one!

Here is the back.

And here is the other Christmas ornament I stitched and finished. This is a CCN ornament from one of the JCS Christmas magazines. It was originally shown in the new Christmas colors: pink, teal, light green... and that is how I did it for me. This time, I subbed out for 'original' colors, and it is just as cute!

Here's the back!

One of the exchanges is called the Grab Bag Exchange. We put a certain amount of new notions into a 'container' and swap in the exchange. The 'highlight' of this exchange is the variety of the containers, and watching how many times they are stolen throughout the exchange! So here was my contribution.

And here is the inside. The recipient told me that she liked it, so I did okay.

I got the scissors at Salty Yarn! I made the little pouch with some wool... it was a fun little project.

And the back of the pouch...

On the way to PALS, my daughter and I stopped in at our favorite second-hand store, and tho it wasn't a good visit (rude employees!!), I managed to find some things... One of which was this basket of shells. It jumped out at me because on the top was a beautiful PURPLE, shiny clam shell! We looked it over and it seemed to be real, tho I have never seen a purple one. The entire basket was $5 so I got it.

As I was going to check out, this RUDE, GRUMPY employee came up behind me and was grumbling... and sort of came towards where I was standing, to get past me. In doing so, I was jostled and the basket tipped... and out fell the one purple shell, shattering to pieces! Sigh... I still got the basket, because I do love shells. Put it aside until this week. As I was going through them, sort of in the middle was a Seahorse. I figured it was fake, but it was NOT! Kinda gross... poor thing. He is petrified--as in very stiff. Interesting but kind of icky. I will keep it till the grandkids come around... maybe one of them will want it.

When I returned home from PALS, it was time to change out the house d├ęcor from summer to fall. So, here are a few pictures of how I have decorated this year...

I have seen a lot of blue bottles used in decorating, so here is my spin on it. I am going to switch out to orange-y flowers next week.

Saw a version of this on a blog I follow, and made it my own... mostly due to lack of supplies! I sure like them tho!

Closeup of the blue one... I love the color of copper. Colors are not that great in this one, but it is just so you can see the little decorations...

And the white one is so cute too. I will have these around a couple of years!

Moved my plant off the mantle to this spot... I think it will do better as there is more light here. Stuck some of my yellow flowers in it just for fun! The two items on each side were thrift store finds--my faves.

Close up of the turkey plate--it is too cute for 58 cents!!!

So, I redid the mantle. Here is a half view...I found those wood knitting needles in my aunt's things I inherited. They are probably 50+ years old... Boye.

Can you see the bird here? He is made of rusted metal or wire, something to that effect. He is really cute!

Well, this post certainly is lonnnnggggg... I am going to stop for now. I do have a bit more to blog about, but I will do it later. Don't forget to check out the new pages for the blog--links are at the top of the blog posts. Hope I didn't lose anyone...

Till next time!

Hugs,

Maggee

23 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm jealous! I would love to go back to Ocean City! I have never been to PALS but it sounds like fun! I love all your finds! You always decorate so nicely! Miss you!

Robin said...

I too was shaken by the news of Cathey passing. I couldn't believe I cried for someone I never met. It is so sad. She fought so hard.

Oh there is definitely a pattern maybe it is 'beaches' maybe it is 'retreats'. I will have to watch for more information.

Love Salty Yarns and the Lankford. My retreat was there the first weekend of October. We go twice a year and I do so look forward to it.

PALS looks like a lot of fun. I wish Myrtle Beach was closer to me......I might have to consider the trip after I retire.

Robin said...

I too was shaken by the news of Cathey passing. I couldn't believe I cried for someone I never met. It is so sad. She fought so hard.

Oh there is definitely a pattern maybe it is 'beaches' maybe it is 'retreats'. I will have to watch for more information.

Love Salty Yarns and the Lankford. My retreat was there the first weekend of October. We go twice a year and I do so look forward to it.

PALS looks like a lot of fun. I wish Myrtle Beach was closer to me......I might have to consider the trip after I retire.

Barb said...

This was a very interesting post. I am glad to hear you are better and had a good time at the retreat,excepting the very rude people at the thrift store!

Mouse said...

ohhhh my the Pals retreat sounds so much fun .... love the wee finds and sorry about your shell , love the decor and glad to hear you are feeling, well I hope you do.. much better :) love mouse xxxxx

Karen said...

So nice seeing you at Pals. I just rode through Virginia last weekend on my way to College Park. Should have honked as I was riding by. :)

Love the pumpkins... happy stitching!

Catherine said...

Great catch up post!!

marly said...

Great post - going to check out the pages now!

Deborah said...

I went to the salty Yarn retreat last year and had the best time. My Dad lives on the ocean in Myrtle Beach, so really I should try to get there next year. Your decorating is lovely.

Beth said...

Goodness, when you post, you really post! Am glad you are feeling better. Your stitching adventure with your daughter sounds like lots of fun and good ' just the two of you time' .

cucki said...

Such a sweet post..
Glad you are feeling better
Hugs x

Clare - Aimetu said...

A lovely post Maggee with some amazing photos - I'm sorry you were unwell and life can certainly make us pause for a while.

Saturday was the meet up for Needlecraft Haven - 9 of us had an amazing day so your PALS 114 meet must have been unbelievable.

Great autumn ideas - I never seem to have enough space to put all the things I see.

stitcheranon said...

Beaches and retreats: works for me! You are so lucky to be able to access things like that. I love the photos..absolutely spellbound..a fantastic post. And it goes without saying I am so pleased you are feeling better xx

Katie said...

It was great to see you at PALs though we didn't visit much this time around.

Love all your great photos and your long post.

Vickie said...

Thanks be to God for your recovering health. What an awesome trip. And with your daughter!! Great.
Yes, I was searching the basket for the purple shell, and then read what happened to it. What a shame.

Robin said...

Great post, Maggee! Hope you are feeling better! Both retreat outings sounded like fun!

Robin in Virginia

The Inspired Stitcher said...

What a fun post, Maggee! I enjoyed seeing all your pictures. I know two of those girls. Glad you had a great time!

butterfly said...

What a great Post , looks like you had a fun time.
Hope you are feeling better now, hugs.

Linda said...

So nice to get an update from you Maggee. The ornaments are adorable. Love all the pics and it looks like you had a fun time.

Linda

Shirlee said...

What a very fun post! So glad you are feeling better my friend!

Melanie said...

Love the ornaments! I think I like the colors you used in the Merry piece better than the original. It's adorable that way.
That's too bad about the purple shell. I've never seen a purple one before either. The colors are usually pretty dull on those. How you can pass that up for $5 though? You'd pay tons more than that for the same amount of shells from a commercial store.
So much fun stuff here! :)

Carol said...

Lovely to catch up with you, Maggee--and I'm so glad you're feeling better! You've had some fun adventures lately with the PALs trip and visit to the Salty Yarns shop.

Love that turkey plate--what a bargain!!

Meari said...

It was my first time at PALS and it *was* a lot of fun. Too bad we didn't meet. I think you must've been on the other side of the room.