Sunday, June 23, 2013

a Tiny Finish, a comparison, and a few finish-finishes...

Well, I took an adventure where I have never gone before! I stitched on 40-count fabric! And I enjoyed it! I did a smallish piece, called Beach Blessing, by Erica Michaels. Supposed to be one of those 'petites' that you do on gauze (anyone want a piece of gauze??) but it is still small and cute! I saw it done quite a while back, on a non-gauze fabric and said to myself, Why not? Without further ado, here it is...



Then, I have been struggling to do a piece called 'Red, White and Bloom' by CCN because of the fabric I chose, which was 30-count Alabaster. I really do NOT like 30-count. So, it has been slow going and not one of my favorite WIPs to stitch. PLUS, the white sure isn't going to show very well!! What was I thinking?! Since I still had a nice hunk of 40-count left, I did a quick floss toss and made the decision to start it again! I got a fair amount done last night while watching a movie... Here is a comparison picture showing the difference in sizes.



I neglected to show the previous finishing I did on some smalls. First is 'Sweet Stella' by Erynne Chard/Stitcheree. My first time doing the rick rack sticking out of the edge of the pillow. Need more practice... Of course, I am my worst critic! The backing is a tiny lavender checked fabby... lovely!



Next is 'Red-winged Blackbird' by Bent Creek, with a framed pillow finish. Got that down pat!



And I made 'Happy as a Lark' into a little pillow too! I really like the backing fabric--red ticking!



Just when I least expected it, I got a surprise in the mail from Shirlee! It is a Pine Mountain Kit, for Christmas! Shirlee is such a hoot! She sent a card with Birthday wishes inside... and apologized for being four months tardy! She's a fun one, for sure!! Thanks so much!!



Well, I am off to do a bit of this and that... Sundays are always so busy for me, what with shopping, at least 5 loads of laundry (it is 7 today, with sheets), and some tidying and maybe finishing/sewing... We shall see!

Keep telling me your likes and dislikes... there could be a RAK coming your way!

Hugs,

Maggee

15 comments:

Catherine said...

Sweet finishes and great goodies! The one on 40ct looks great ~ such a cute piece!!

Linda said...

Wow Maggee. Congrats on all the great finishes. I can't finish them, so I just stitch them and put in a storage tub. I can see the white fine on your first Red, White and Bloom piece.

Linda

Beth said...

So much productivity - stitching & finishing to. I like your three new birdies and the sweet beach stitch too.

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

Lovely stitching and beautiful finishing, sweet stella turned out adorable with the purple ric rac and the beach blessing is very pretty - may have to hunt that one down for myself :)

Melody said...

Hi. I love the red winged blackbird!! I have to locate that chart and stitch it someday. Nice finishes on all

Vickie said...

Wow Maggee! Great work! If no one else would like it, I would be willing to take the gauze off your hands. ;)

Vickie said...

Wow Maggee great work! Love your finishing. If no one else wants it, I would be willing to take the silk gauze off your hands. ;)

Barb said...

All of your projects look wonderful. I agree, if I'm not happy it is worth doing over.

Mouse said...

ooooo beautiful finishes and what a size difference on the red white and bloom ... not stitched on gauze before but don't think likely too either ...lol
and had a peep like you said and quaker alphabet caught my eye ;) love mouse xxxxx

cucki said...

Super sweet stitches and lovely gift from our dear shirlee
Big hugs x

Shirlee said...

Lovely work Maggee! I was especially excited to read that your first design was supposed to be done on gauze. I had never heard of that before, then last week I received an order from The Silver Needle & one of the designs I chose comes with silk gauze to stitch it on! It's a great design but I kind of shivered when I saw the gauze. I will now choose a regular linen fabric : )

Penny said...

Love the sentiment on Beach Blessing! It's hard to make the choice to start over, but amazing how much more you enjoy the stitching once you do. :) Cute finishes - I love Sweet Stella! Sweet package from Shirlee.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

How sweetly finished are all your darling stitched finishes :)

Melanie said...

Busy, busy, busy!!!
Your new finishes are super cute.
Stitching on gauze doesn't sound fun - I like stitching stiffer linen vs. the super soft ones - but can't deny it looks good. I like the wee crab.

Stitchinowl said...

Congrats on your cute finishes. The Sweet Stella finish came out great - the purple trim really pops!

Carolyn