Saturday, October 6, 2012

Warrior Dash, Powhatan, VA 09/29/12 (LONG post!)

I attended the Warrior Dash in Powhatan, VA last weekend because my son-in-love and one granddaughter were participants. It was an 'adventure' from getting up there Friday night through some nasty thunder and lightning, to being out in the rain from 7:30 to 11:00 ish the day of the Dash. My granddaughter did STUPENDOUS, finishing in a good time for a first timer, that is only 14 years old! Dad was right there with her, though I did not hear if he needed to encourage her any! One obstacle was a bit difficult--swimming in very deep water for a long distance, so Dad put her on his back and helped her out! It was fun seeing all the different people that participated, as some were Hunks, some were not, some wore costumes of a sort, and so on! In our spare time, while waiting for them to arrive at the end where we were standing, we were (ok FINE)I was drooling over admiring so many military men with great bodies nice uniforms... Well, it made the time fly by! It DID!

The last obstacle was for EVERYone there--getting out of the parking lot!! You see, it was held at Berkley Plantation, and they had us park in a spent corn field. Mind you, it was RAINING! and RAINING! and RAINING! Which makes MUD!! And there are 500 participants in the course every half hour! So, by the time we were ready to leave, there were probably 2500 vehicles there... and some of us wanted to leave! But--the ones who were trying to leave as we were walking to our car were getting STUCK in the mud! BIG TIME! It became quite a fiasco! As people backed out, they got stuck, so then they blocked the path... and then the cars that were blocked sank deeper and deeper... Well, you get the picture! But we were blessed! I had prayed when we first assessed the situation and the bleakness of ever leaving, and God surely answered! Abundantly! My son in love walked around the corn fields to see the best way to try to get out. He came back, we got cleaned off, and got in the van and he began to drive us out... and we were doing really good (he has much experience in towing and BIG vehicle usage from the Army) until some little idiot in a sports car cuts in and makes us have to brake! Well, we began to sink immediately! SIL got out to push, my daughter moved over to drive (they are a team--I would have been a mess!)and we were moving again, but... we got stuck. Again! A tall, monster/diesel truck came up behind us, assessed the situation, and plowed through the underbrush on our left (off the road) with little difficulty. Made me think some unkind thoughts about cheaters... but... then they backed up, and two cute hunks nice young men got out, helped my SIL hook up my van to their tow rope, and they TOWED US OUT! It was so AWESOME! I offered them money, but they refused. PLUS, the plantation folks realized we were not going to get out the way we came in, due to mud AND there were still folks coming IN, so they opened a back road and we were on our way home! Yay! So, I have photos for those of you that are still reading...


They should have given us our money BACK for parking!


Some of those Hunks... nice military participants...


More participants, though now it is pouring down rain! See the aqua umbrella my Granddaughter is holding over me?


Finished! Very Proud of them!


The whole group... the youngest is wrapped in a tablecloth (hey! it worked!, oldest is soaked, my daughter is shooting a picture of me taking a picture of them! And SIL is threatening to wipe mud on his fellow Warrior's face! Fun stuff!


My van in all its glory and the Warriors

My van did get washed the next morning by my husband. SIL and I got up early just to take it to a car wash place, only to go outside and find my hubby was cleaning it! I should have taken bets... I knew he couldn't stand it!

Well, that is it for my adventurous weekend. Thanks for joining me!

Hugs,

Maggee

3 comments:

Vickie said...

Wow! How great. Isn't it nice to know there are still good Samaritans?

cucki said...

very nice..
sending you love xxx

Cindy said...

WOW! I'm impressed! Todd and Nikki wanted to do this race but Todd had to have knee surgery and was unable to train for it. But next weed end we( Todd,Nikki and I) are running in the Race for the Cure.