Friday, June 1, 2012

Bird ID needed!

We have a new bird at the feeders, but I don't know what it is! It has the shape of a cardinal, but not the orange beak... Maybe it is a juvenile one (female colorings?) and I just haven't seen one before... It has some red coloring on it's tail. But it does not have the markings like a house finch and it is lots bigger!
So far we have had house finches (lots!), a bright red cardinal and a female or two, doves, grackels (yuck!)and what appeared to be a black-capped chickadee! Saw that one twice now! Word is getting out...
So here are some pictures I just took, before it flew off.
Garden is growing. Tomatoes in front got hit with something and the leaves are mottled and yellow-y. The peppers in back by the bird feeders are being eaten. Not by snails... guess soapy water isn't doing it and I will have to get something stronger. Green beans are beginning to grow, but they have been nibbled on also. The cukes... phew! Bush ones have LOADS of flowers! Crawling ones are crawling, but I don't see flowers yet. And so it goes...
If you know what the bird is... let me know!
Off to stitch...
Hugs,
Maggee

2 comments:

mbroider said...

Isn't that a sparrow?

Shirlee said...

A sparrow was my first thought too. It sure does look like one.