Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mammonism...

Do you know what that word means? It was the word of the day on dictionary.com today and so apropos to how I am thinking tonight! It means 'the greedy pursuit of riches' and it SO fits the way our country is going down the tubes these days!! In general, just look at how the gas prices keep going up and then down and then up again! Just for G-R-E-E-D, not a shortage or anything like that!! In particular, I am especially thinking about the internet and our rights. I admit it--I am a computer enthusiast! And my son is too! We have been discussing the way the lawmakers (backed by BIG money with mammonism in mind!!) have begun to take away rights. I always thought a person was innocent until proven guilty--isn't that what they said? Call me naive, but I grew up believing it was true! It doesn't seem to be true these days. (now, mind you, this is just in my own little world--I am not taking on every single civil liberty tonight!!) Take for instance--you have a website or blog, and someone thinks you have posted something that is either not yours (as in, piracy or copyright infringement) or they just don't like you, period. So, they make a call or send an email to the 'authorities' and you get a letter saying 'they' are taking down your website, and we'll see you in Court--in about 10 years! See, guilty before you ever get to court!! Whatever happened to due process? I am seeing certain intials running through my mind, which somewhat relate to this rant of mine: MPAA, RIAA, SOPA, PIPA, OPEN, DMCA. That last one is really interesting... All you have to do is buy the software and you can file an infringement report (bogus and unfounded) and get someone in trouble. What a great country we live in!! Not!! This can and will relate to stitching matters, too, so you might want to do a little reading some day.

And while I am at it--what's with blogger captcha on commenting? Now we are required to verify TWO words, one of which is always blurred and very hard to read while the other is sharp and clear?? What's up with that?? Until I find out what it is all about, my blog is going to be moderated.

But--don't get me wrong!! I LOVE my blog and reading other stitchers' blogs!! I love getting comments. So, don't let that stop you from commenting on my blog. I will resolve all this in time...

Hugs,

Maggee

9 comments:

Teresa S. said...

Thank goodness I am not the only person who has noticed this change when commenting on blogger! And invariably I can't read the blurred word and have to retry 2 or 3 times! What's up with that?

I hear gas is predicted to get up to $5 gallon this summer!
And yes, there are 2 words down below to figure out and submit :)

Sarah said...

I'm glad I don't live in the USA, although their internet laws are going to effect everyone I think.

The new captcha is really annoying!!!

Shirlee said...

Applause, applause, applause! Blessings, Shirlee

The Natural Sage said...

OOhh!
When government is so deep in the pockets of money people, and avarice is foremost, the power of the government is sold out to the highest most profit-making venture, risking Americans without our consent. Much like taxation, without representation...remember that one?
I'm hoping with elections coming that change/reforms will also. If not, then more "resistance" "by the people" will have to occur, so we get the message out that:
We will not be sold-out!!!!

Mouse said...

know what you mean .... there has been a lot of probs with it and yep can't stand this two word thingy can't read one with out squinting and hurting my eyes ... and fed up with it already after a couple of days ... love mouse xxxx
ps still got to verify not a robot even with you moderating agghhhhhhh !!!!!

Katie said...

I agree with you about the world changing and not for the good. We just have to do the best we can to help our little section of it be better.

Catherine said...

Yep...I noticed the comment thing...it's annoying!

Anne said...

It's highly irritating to have to squint and try and figure out what the nonsense word is! Sometimes I click until I find one that is somewhat easy!

Even with comment moderation, I'm still having to enter the words???

Meari said...

I noticed the change, too. It's a areal pain in the rear!